Sunday, 29 July 2007

English Words

I'm reading the final Harry Potter book but it's the English version. I got it a couple of days ago and haven't finished so don't spoil it for me! :) When I first got here I realized that even though we both speak English, many words are different than our own, as well as the pronouciations and spellings. For example when they say herbs they pronounce it with the H. They also say, instead of X, Y, Z, they say X, Y, Zed. When they spell, they use the Y more liberally. For example, tires are tyres and pajamas are pyjamas. So I've been making a list of some words or phrases that the English say that are different from our own.

English terms translated to American

hiya=hi
touch wood = knock on wood
pear shaped = out of whack
big ask = that's a lot to ask
I was gobsmacked = I couldn't believe it!
that's a shocker = that's crazy
magicked = did a magic trick
never mind = oh well
poorly (sounds like paully)= someone is sick

Audrey came home and told me "Elliot (one of her friends) was paully" I didn't understand for the longest time until I realized that she was saying "Elliot was poorly."

silly sausage = silly goose
broody = baby hungry
plaster = band aid
fringe = bangs
spots = zits
shattered = tired
wellies = boots
flicked = flipped (as in flipped through channels)
trolley = shopping cart
lorry = diesel/tractor trailers
handbag = purse
purse = wallet
reception = kindergarden
cuddle = hug
plait (pronounced platt) = braid
boot = trunk (of a car)
bonnet = hood (of a car)
iced lollies = pop cycle
crisps = chips
chips = french fries
sick = spit up
motorway = freeway
tin = can (as in food can..can of corn, etc)
holiday = vacation
nappy = diaper
dummy = pacifier/binki
garden = backyard
milk teeth = baby teeth
always mobile = never a cell phone
bin = trash
veg = veggies
teli = TV
trousers = pants
pants = underwear
shops = stores
granary bread = wheat bread
post = mail
half three = three thirty (or whatever half past it is)
squash = concentrated drink
pickle or puppet (pronounced paupat) = if a kids cute you call them this...like we would maybe call a kid "squirt"


There are so many more. I'm sure I'll be adding to the list as the week goes along. I may make a little video of Audrey and Mia saying some English terms. They know them all well now. Mia says "hiya" to greet people. It's rather cute.

5 comments:

Shelley and Greg said...

When do you move to NYC? How does the English version of Harry Potter differ from the American? We miss you guys.
Shelley

Teresa said...

What a neat experience for your family but we are anxious to have your closer--NY is still far. Are you going to be able to visit Tucson anytime? My girls really do miss you and we can't wait to meet Tori. Good luck getting everything ready for your move.

Teresa

Lorena said...

Hi Dayna - I love your new haircut!!! Did I already tell you that? I don't remember.
I like your British to American dictionary. I can't believe I actually read through every single word in that entire list, but, yes, I just did. Thanks for the entertainment for me at 3:00 am when I have jetlag too bad to sleep and t.v. sucks.

Lisa Murphy said...

I can't believe your year is up. It went so fast. What an adventure you all had. Can't wait to see your new baby girl in person. We also like the idea of arranged marraiges, we have ours already picked out.

Jen said...

Dana,

I bet learning all the phrases took a while...I'd really make people in England turn their because I'd probably say something like,"Hey I like your pants!"