Sunday, 1 July 2007

Tori's Blessing & Lessons Learned

Today Ryan blessed Tori. She looked so adorable in her blessing dress that her Aunt Andrea made. Here are a few pictures of her special day.


href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhq0Er5Ingxaqky6op1h03Srmu0I_Q3v8ciPbxspNcH3nMVRDDWITysd0ZxOCJVIn6S0YibrGCFRT0gfViNb74ezwXPm43FRCT73D3_4XoIe0zn_b99lC63iMUexQwIsvfjOY6HcZOVZVY/s1600-h/Tori+blessing.jpg">




I was writing the story of Tori's birth and it just seemed too gruesome to put on my webpage so I decided to write a couple of pointers for anyone that is thinking about having a baby.

Lessons learned from Tori's birth:

#1. Have an epidural!

I kid you not! I have had 2 children with epidurals and 1 without (Tori) and all I can say is WHAT WAS I THINKING? Modern medicine is sent from above. How do women do it! I really admire anyone who chooses to do it without. When I was talking to Ryan about it, he said something that I think I'll adopt. “Why be a martyr?” Even though my recovery was amazingly quick with Tori, I think I would have rather had a couple days of slow recovery. Trust me, it's worth it.

#2 Birthing pools help you to relax until the pain hits!!!

Birthing pools are nice and I actually had a water birth! It wasn't expected. They asked me if I wanted to get into the pool to relax and I thought that sounded nice. And it was. Before I started to actually push, I was falling asleep between contractions. But when the pain hits, there is nothing like it! In the pool or out, it's all the same. OUCH!

When she was born, she was just floating at the bottom. They asked me if I wanted to pick her up so I did. She was all slimy and had varnex all over her and she wasn't breathing until Ryan cut the cord. It was different than I expected it to be but it was cool to say I had a water birth. It still doesn't take away the pain.

#3 Have a baby in the US.

I'm just a wimpy American! Not that having a child is the most pleasurable experience, but in England it is totally different. Yes the heath care is socialized, which is nice because it is free. But because it is run by the government, there really isn't any patient satisfaction level that they are trying to meet and you have to bring many supplies that are provided for you in the states. First of all, I was asked what I was going to give birth in. Luckily, I had been prepped by friends and told that they don't provide gowns here. But because I had a water birth, I didn't use a gown. (I know you were all dying to know that bit of info!)

When Tori was born, the Midwives (there are no OBGYN's.. just midwives) didn't bathe her at all or suction out her lungs. She seemed to be coughing up stuff all night. They weighed her but they didn't measure her. They didn't have a diaper for her or anything to put on. Ryan put on the diaper and put on her outfit. When they say to pack your bags, they literally mean it!

Another crazy thing, I was asked after having Tori, if I wanted to released 6 hours afterwards. If I had heard this in the hospital, I would have said “What? Are you out of your mind? I just had a baby!”. My friends again told me this is normal. At first I was put into a room with 6 beds. I was so tired and wasn't sleeping with everyone around that I asked if I could have a private room. I decided to stay the night but the help was very minimal. When I did ask for something, I felt like I was bothering the nurses and they told me they were “so busy.” I didn't get dinner because I had missed it in the cafeteria but someone did bring me some leftover fish, which I couldn't stomach and didn't take one bite of. I had a friend who brought by some snacks that saved my life. (thank you Carla!)

The phones and TV cost in the hospital. Good thing I didn't use the phone. I almost did but then later found that it cost 1 pound per minute or $2 a minute. I did pay to use the TV. I figured since having Tori was free $5 wouldn't break the bank.

During the night, I wanted some pain medicine but had to go to the nurses station and ask for it. They don't have a nursery for the babies which I missed. I like having the child whisked away and being able to enjoy some uninterrupted sleep. It's rather tiring to have a baby! (especially without an epidural!) Seriously it seems like you are supposed to jump up and be normal again.

All in all, it was quite an experience to have a baby in England! I think I like being pampered like a true American!

6 comments:

Randrea said...

Hey Dana! It's great to see a baby in that dress. She looked so cute. I liked the flower pinned to her head. I'm glad that you guys are doing well! Love you! PS I definitely plan on having my babies in America now:)

Melissa said...

Dana you are a true champion !! Congratulations on your new baby ! On the giving birth side of things, I am still saying I will wait until they find a different way to get them here ;) I am glad my feet are planted firmly on american soil...:O)

g.c. said...

Hi Dana!!
I'm getting the hang of this blog thing.. I enjoyed reading your update. You all look so pretty in your pink & white. Tori so-o cute!
Yes, I am with you on the epidurals... I tried to have Courtney all natural... no drugs & after 10 hours of labor & I was not far along...I said "give the drugs to me" & then after I had them, I said, "What was I thinking?? This epidural makes labor sooooooo much better", I told Don from then on I would ask for the epidural as soon as I could get it. Unfortunately with Mel-- she was born so fast, that they weren't able to give me anything so I had her all natural-- no drugs... So now I can claim I'm a "she-woman" because I did it once-- same as you. But the epidural is they way to go.
Glad you didn't have any complication with the birth in England with the socialized medicine & getting help & all...glad everyone is doing well & healthy.
Take Care :)

Natalie C. said...

Oh Dana- your baby is gorgeous. Congratulations!! I am so sorry it was such a painful childbirth! I'm with you- i would definitely miss the care-taking attitude we have in America that I didn't know other civilized countries didn't have. Rest as much as possible because if you push yourself during your recovery now, you are at a higher risk for postpartum depression. I have had that ever since Mia was born because I had some traumatic experiences with her birth & then I didn't let myself rest as much as I could have. I am just barely now pulling out of it (sort of- it's a lot of work. It doesn't go away on it's own) after 2 years & 9 months. Anyway- you're awesome! you get whatever medal you want now!

Lorena said...

Wow, Dana - way to opt for the water birth and try something new while you are in England. But yeah, probably childbirth isn't exactly the thing you necessarily want to experiment with if you are at all averse to pain. Well, you are one tough chica. Nice write up. I'm sure I'll remember what you had to say one day when I go through childbirth.

Michael and Katie Broderick Family said...

Hey Brodericks,
congrates on the new baby! You guys have managed to get three beautiful little girls that look nothing alike. We are so happy for you and thankful that everything went so well with the birth. We are sorry that it caused you so much pain Dana. Thank again for letting us visit you. We really enjoyed speding time with your family. Take care;)